Thursday, May 3, 2007

Encouraging Barack to Do the Right Thing...

I have started this blog, and a corresponding Do the Right Thing, Barack - MySpace page, because I believe Barack Obama and his campaign have not "done the right thing" in how they have treated Joe Anthony - a volunteer who, since 2004, built an unofficial MySpace page for Barack Obama up from nothing, to having 160,000 MySpace friends. Then, a few days ago, the Obama campaign - essentially - stole the MySpace page from Joe.

Myself and others regard this action by Obama's campaign to not only be an affront to Joe, but also to all of those who believe in, and invest ourselves in, netroots activism.

Those who feel strongly about this, as I do, are encouraged make yourself heard.

Those who do NOT have a MySpace page are encouraged to:
  • Post a comment to this blog, describing what you feel Senator Obama needs to do to rectify this situation.
  • Spread the word
    • Link to this blog from other websites.
    • Invite others to do the same.
Those who DO have a MySpace page are encouraged to:
  • Add the Do the Right Thing, Barack MySpace page as a friend to your MySpace page.
  • Remove the hijacked Barack Obama MySpace page from your MySpace friends.
  • Post a comment on the MySpace page, describing what you feel Senator Obama needs to do to rectify this situation.
  • Spread the word
    • Link to this blog from other websites.
    • Invite others to do the same.
Since emotions are high on this, I will be reviewing/approving all comments posted before I allow them to be viewable by all. And, since I do have a job, I may only be able to review/approve comments in the evenings. So, please be patient with me on that.

More info on this story is available at:

3 comments:

John Mills said...

This is an incredible story. I hope it gets the national attention that it deserves.

Right about now the Obama campaign should be thinking "WTF were we thinking?"

Unknown said...

From: Mike (mlmcmull@gmail.com)

After reading multiple summaries of the situation it sounds to me like Barack DID do the right thing.

Guy volunteers to do a job, works with the official campaign, then suddenly shuts out the official campaign and demands $40k?

There's no positive way to spin that; volunteer work is volunteer work.

Do the Right Thing, Barack said...

Mike,

Thanks for your post. I responded to what you wrote in my second post, "Did the Obama Campaign Slander a Mega-Volunteer?". I encourage you to check it out, and respond to it if you feel anything is inaccurate in what I wrote.

Best Regards